Posted by : Ruby Escalona Thursday, February 5, 2015

If you look at my personal Facebook posts, you’ll see photos or status messages saying I’m going here or there. People think – “does she have that many days off?” “Is she rich?” Not to burst your bubble but no to both. The thing is, I have a 9-5 job like most people out there, and though I do long to live a location independent lifestyle, I choose not to. 

My service apartment when I first moved to the US

Thing is, the job I’m in supported me to become an expat in two different continents: in the UK and now in the US. I’ve worked nearly 8 years in my company, and even though it does have its down sides, I do love working here. I make a decent living, but no, it does not make me rich. I also long to have a place to go home after every trip I make. Thing is, what nobody tells you about location independent individuals is they stop for a few months in a country, set up a home base for that little while, and do what you and I do: work freelance. Their travel blogs? They don't earn much money (mostly ads), but open up to opportunities that allow for free travel.



Why don't I like that? Well, in the US, I can save a LOT of money too. How? Couponing. Only thing I pay full price on is rent, electricity, water, and trash/sewer services. Oh, and fresh food. You can't coupon for fresh food. Anything else, you can wait for sales so you won't have to pay full price for anything. With couponing, you build up stockpiles (buying items that are non perishable and stocking them up when there's a sale, so when you need them, you won't have to do an emergency errand to the store and end up paying full price for it) - stockpiles take up space. Something that won't fit in your backpack when you're traveling. To do this trick, you'll need to have a home base, and the US is amazing when it comes to couponing. You can do this wherever you are too - you can take advantage of sales and stock up on items you need when they are on sale. Once in Manila, I bought 4 pcs of deodorant because they were half off. While I did not get to use them all, I gave some away to my mum, and she got to use it. Savings!

I shared more tips here  if you need more tips on how to save on your travels.

All of this? Free (except for Tony the Tiger toy)

While I tried to fill most of my weekdays up by reading blogs, reading books, investing, and planning trips, the weekends were fair game.  Think of it – two days that you can do whatever you want. I try to make the most of it by going on weekend getaways.

Just this weekend, I went on a getaway to Orlando - got a great deal online on a hotel and Seaworld tickets and off we go. Granted you still have to pay full price by eating out but it doesn't have to break the bank and when you get back from your weekend trip you feel more refreshed than ever! 
I'll write more on the weekend traveler aspect but hopefully this article helped you.

If you have any other Qs, let me know in the comments below! :)

- Copyright © Ruby Loves Adventure - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -