Posted by : Unknown Monday, January 18, 2010


Last Saturday, I got a chance to watch Sherlock Holmes at the cinemas!

By golly, I waited for this for a month, given that it was shown elsewhere last 2009, but only got to watch it this 2010! Jeez, what a loser. One part being that from the third week of December 2009 until the second week of January 2010, only local [ie Filipino] movies were being shown from a film festival. Ugh.

Anyway, the plotline is quite simple [and here's me without giving any spoilers]: Holmes was called in to a case wherein he was chasing after Lord Blackwood, stopping a crime involving magic & human sacrifice. He catches Blackwood, he was tried and hanged. But wait! Blackwood rose from the dead! And Holmes was called again to capture Blackwood and find out how he did his death-defying act.

Simple enough, eh?

I wouldn't give away any other parts of the movie because I came in the cinema with absolutely nothing! No spoilers, nothing, and I guess that's what made me enjoy and appreciate the movie more. Although the movie is not based on any of A. Conan Doyle's novel, the story gave it enough justice, staying loyal to the methods of Holmes on how he apprehended the perpetrator, and the steps the perps went through as they were doing their deeds as was described in the novels and short stories. Holmes mastery of disguise was also clearly shown in the movie. Look closer at some of the characters and you'll realize that it's Holmes, playing another part!

Robert Downey Jr as Holmes was awesome. Hands down. No wonder he was nominated [or won?] several awards from his portrayal of Holmes. Jude Law was also great as Watson! I loved their bromance and banter on the screen! Absolutely entertaining!

Loooooved the costumes and setting as well! Costumes were typical of the 19th century. Setting-wise, several London landmarks that we now know and love today were featured! St. Paul's Cathedral, Big Ben & the Houses of Parliament, and Tower Bridge. I loved that they showed the Tower Bridge when it was still under construction at the time. It was the perfect backdrop! One thing that caught my eye as well: Eros at Piccadilly Circus!! It's an amazing contrast to the Piccadilly of now, where there's neon signs in one area! Wheeee!! Okay. I am biased. I loooooove London hence plus points for the movie to be set there! =) The Thames also has a major part in the movie! Watch out for that!

One complaint though: in the movie, Holmes has a tendency to talk very, very quickly! It's quite hard to catch on what he's saying, as his words may sometimes be fuddled with Downey's fake British accent. Then again, that's my only complaint!

The ending is open-ended in such a way that there might be a sequel in the works! Wheeeee!!!! I hope there will be one! I'll keep on googling it! 

I'll give this movie a 4.5/5!! Very worth your money!! Go watch it!

2 Responses so far.

  1. Nina says:

    I loved it too! Anything with RDJ in it I'd watch! I agree that half of the time it was hard to decipher what he was saying, and to think that I'm getting used to hearing the accent watching loads of series and movies. Haha!

  2. Anonymous says:

    You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

- Copyright © Ruby Loves Adventure - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -