So, since I've gotten into the points and miles game recently, I figured I'd also post my plans on how to travel for cheap in 2015.
Why so early? Because to travel for almost free, you need to book secure your award tickets as soon as you can. And it also means jumping on various promos to get as many points as you need.
So, our travel plans for 2015 are as follows and bits and bobs of what we want to do, we don't have specific itineraries yet:
Tampa (January 17-19)
- Busch Gardens - paid $45 in cash for entrance during the AMEX Daily Getaways (too bad we didn't have an AMEX card when we bought it, would have been much cheaper, nor did we have the Barclaycard Arrival+ at the time)
- Hotel: Boyfriend got a targeted offer to stay at the Westin Lagunamar Resort. $319 for 5 days, 4 nights. We paid $200 in cash to secure our place but we have no set dates yet (we don't have enough British Airways miles to cover our flight from Miami)
- Flight: Miami to Cancun using British Airways Avios (9,000 per person x 2 = 18,000 BA Avios RT) (Transfer from AMEX Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards cards)
- Car Rental (use Chase Sapphire Preferred for primary collision cover and no annual fees) - will pay out of pocket
- Sightseeing Chichen Itza, Tulum, and Isla Grande fees - Barclaycard Arrival (if any)
- Hotel: either covered for by Arrival+ or SPG points (probably the Element because we need to stay near the airport. Only need to stay in Miami for 1 or 2 more days to do some visa errands for me as I have a Philippine passport and would need a Schengen visa to get to Europe)
- Flights: US Airways Companion Pass. Paid approx $460 out of pocket for two people roundtrip from JAX to LAS.
- Hotels: None yet - but planning to do hotel hopping (staying 2 nights at a time) with the cost being paid for/reimbursed by the Arrival+ card.
- Sightseeing: Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Death Valley, a few shows in Las Vegas, and do the theme parks (all covered for/reimbursed by the Arrival+ card)
- Flights: 40,000 Mile SAAver Offpeak American Airline Miles. Flight from JAX to somewhere in Europe. (80,000 miles for 2 people)
- Hotels: to be determined.
- Sightseeing: to be determined.
- Flights: 50,000 Mile SAAver Offpeak American Airline Miles from JAX to NRT for 1 person. (100,000 AA miles for 2) OR 80,000 United Airline miles from JAX to MNL with stopover in NRT.