Posted by : Unknown Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Clary was just your ordinary girl. Until one day at a club, she sees three people kill someone and her life was turned upside down: her mother was kidnapped, she finds out she's a daughter of a Shadowhunter, and can see the Downworlders [read: vampires, werewolves, faeries and other supernatural creatures]. Can Clary and her friends save her mother from the downworlders by finding the Mortal Cup, and along the way find out more about her ties to the downworlders too?

Review: I initially got to read this book because a friend of mine bought it and asked if I could try and finish the book for her. She stopped reading at around page 100 because the story already confused her too much. My thought? Yes, at first the book is utterly confusing. I guess that Cassandra Clare's type of writing isn't for me. Although the thought of the alternate world is there, and the setting is quite unique, a part of me is screaming out that maybe the story is not well-thought of in advance. There are several loose ends here and there, and there are more than one word trying to define the downworlders. Very confusing indeed, especially if you think that they are different beings at first only to realize that they are one and the same. Another annoyance I got was the excessive use of similes!! Ugh. Annoying as hell as well!! I do get what you were saying the first time Cassandra, I don't need to read it again and again and again. Gosh. Plot is not well-thought of too. But I'll give her this because it's the first book, maybe there's more that will happen in the other books then?

What else -- characters. Can Clary be more whiny? I swear, Clary is in the running for whiniest person in the world, I guess tied with Bella from Twilight. She is one of the most annoying characters I've ever read in books as well. Think about self-centered, reckless. Ugh. Jace is okay, on the other hand. Simon is also okay, I guess. Characters have their issues, which is quite good, but I would definitely love to read about the back stories of the other characters too. Maybe in Clockworld Angel? Hmmm..

Cover - the cover is one of the most gorgeous ones I've seen out there. It has this hologram effect where it changes colour [at least in my opinion] depending on the angle that the light!

Overall, this book took me longer than expected to read and complete. Why? Because I get so annoyed at times that I just had to put down this book and read another one to get over my annoyance! Will I read the other books in the series? Maybe, if I get to borrow a copy from my friend who has the complete series. But I would definitely not be purchasing it. The money could be used to buy other better books out there.

So, on to the summary of my review.

Published: 2007

Publisher: McElderly Books/Simon & Schuster
Available from: Everywhere!
Read it if: You want something to read after Twilight.
Book was: borrowed from a friend.
Rating: So-So [2.5/5 rating!]

- Copyright © Ruby Loves Adventure - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -