Posted by : Unknown Saturday, December 4, 2010

The second book of the Mortal Instruments series. In this second installment, Clary and Jace are now coming to grips that they are related to each other, and would they still continue their forbidden love? Valentine is back and has stolen yet another Mortal Instrument,  which he would use to summon Demons, thereby killing a child from every Downworlder race. Jace, Clary, and the gang have set out trying to stop Valentine, but would they be successful in doing so? And would Clary's mother finally wake up?

Thoughts: This book is much better written than the first book, where I got all confused. The narration is now more fluid, and it looks like what would happen next in the book are well-thought of [well, maybe the first two parts, the third part bored me a bit]. However, I do have a comment: I got confused with the names of the Seraph Blades. Why in the world would there be so much names? Honestly, I don't think it plays such a huge part in the story, it just adds to the confusion.

I noticed that this book has a lot of similarities to the Potter books too, given that this was written by someone who used to write Potter fanfiction. In the latter part of the book, the author also wrote something about Dumbledore: "Who would win in a fight? Dumbledore or Magnus bane?" "Dumbledore, because he's got that wicked killing curse." "But Dumbledore isn't real!"

Okay, other similarities:
The stele & the wand
The Inquisitor [Imogen] & Umbridge -- both horrible and annoying characters
A two-way mirror - the one Jace used to see Idris, whilst the one Sirius gave Harry to communicate with him before he was killed
The quest of both Valentine & Voldemort for a pureblood race, killing everyone who doesn't want to side with him
The Circle and the Death-Eaters
Mundanes & muggles
Agramon & the Boggart - where they shape shift to whatever you fear the most. I mean, come on! Waay too many ideas lifted from the Potter books. It could have been a coincidence but *shrug*

Can I just say I do adore Simon? He probably is one of the best characters in the book, and I loathe Clary, as much as I loathed Bella from the Twilight novels. THey are both whiny, helpless little girls who can't stand up for themselves. Argh.

My favourite character though is Luke -- he seemed like such a cool dad and would do anything for Clary's mum!

Would I read other books by Cassandra Clare? Yes, if I could find a friend who has the books and willing to lend a copy to me. I'm not sure I'd buy her books but maybe if I encounter something from the bargain bin.

So, on to the summary then.

Published:
2009
Publisher: Walker Books
Book was: Borrowed from a friend
Read it if: you want to find out what happens to Clary after reading book 1.
Rating: It was okay. [3.5/5]

- Copyright © Ruby Loves Adventure - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -