Posted by : Unknown Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'm too lazy to write my own blurb, so here's the one from Goodreads:

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.


As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments
This book disappointed me a bit. After the high of reading the second book, City of Ashes, it all comes down to this. A lot of loose ends have been tied, and although some elements are predictable, there seems to be a lot more action in this book compared to the first two. However, what I don't like is that the incessetant comparisons/similes is back again! I thought it improved from the first to the second book, but in the third book, it's baaaack! The first 200 pages bored me to bits and pieces. Yes, I do admire how Clare has described Alicante, but some elements had me lost, which is much like how I felt when I read the first book. At one point I wanted to just stop reading altogether, but then again the investment of time I've spent reading the first two books and some of the third kept me reading altogether. Good thing the final 100 pages surely made up for the boring parts.

What else - this book is darker than the second book - it deals with war, death, and so much revenge and suffering. Seriously, even the demons are scary. I wouldn't want my young adult children to read this, but then again, for older readers like me, it provides a breath of fresh air. It also shows a unity to races that are not of the same kind, which is what we need in the world right now. What I don't like is that there were some meaningless deaths. Ugh. And oh, I would really want some more fight scenes - like detailed descriptions. That would make for an awesome story!

I also liked the fact that the characters are growing up and learning more about themselves and accepting their talents and who they are. Alec's, for one, is a very inspiring tale. Jace's is too - he definitely went through a lot.

This review is really hard to pull off without giving much spoilers, so I guess I'll leave it there! This book is also one of the thickest, longest books I've ever read so far! I wouldn't say the time I've spent in reading the book is definitely worth it though!

Published: 2009

Available From: everywhere!
Publisher: Margaret K McElderly Books/Simon and Schuster
Book was: borrowed from a friend
Rating: The book could be better - it was disappointing at first, but if you find that it bored you, wait until you read the last 100 pages - it is awesome! [3.5/5]

- Copyright © Ruby Loves Adventure - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -