Posted by : Unknown Sunday, January 8, 2012

Summary from Goodreads: There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. 

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. 

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her. 


Luce was suddenly thrust in a reform school after an incident at her former school. There, she meets Daniel. And Cam. Oh boy. A love triangle right from the start. Ugh. 

Honestly, the book bored me - there wasn't anything interesting happening until uhh the last 100 pages of the book. Which pretty mch means that the first 350 pages of the book were pretty much rubbish and seems to cycle upon Luce pining for Daniel, only to be swayed by Cam, and meeting Arriane and Penn. That's pretty much it. I don't know where the scary factor is that the blurbs and the praises for this book come from, it isn't even scary - and the love story part definitely doesn't come until much later. 

I do like the setting though - a school in the middle of nowhere which has an ancient cemetery in the grounds, a lake with forests at the back, and a church that was turned into a gym. Awesome. I have always loved settings which have a historic feel to them or places which are based on real settings. 

The whole story itself is a bit used already - if you've read Twilight you'll actually get the story of this. Two boys fighting over one girl, one girl chooses a boy, the other ends up fighting other boy. Except, wait, there's a twist! They're not vampires and werewolves - they're angels! Okayyy. Pretty much everyone's writing YA love stories about etherial or immortal out of this world creatures now. Pfft. Maybe I should read much more on the realistic YA novels out there. 

Oh, a saving grace of the book - there was a part where Luce wanted to go to Brasil in her current life so badly and whenever someone asks her why she wants to go there, she can't give a proper reason why. It was just an urge for her. Turns out her past life had a memorable experience in Brasil. Can you believe it?? I feel the exact same way about England. Whenever someone asks me why I want to move to London, I always answer differently but the pull is there, exactly the same way Luce was feeling about Brasil. A past life of mine, maybe? Hmm... I was really happy when I read that line of the book. 

Would I read Torment? I don't know. I don't want to buy the second book full price for fear I might get disappointed again. I could use that money for travel, instead. Maybe I'll just wait until it comes out at a used bookstore near my place then I'll reconsider. 

I'll probably just give this book away as a pressie to a friend. Whoever you are who's gonna get this book, I hope you enjoy it because I haven't :( 

- Copyright © Ruby Loves Adventure - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -