Posted by : Unknown Thursday, January 5, 2012


Summary from Goodreads: Elizabeth Egan’s life runs on order: Both her home and her emotions are arranged just so, with little room for spontaneity. It’s how she counteracts the chaos of her family -- an alcoholic mother who left when she was young, an emotionally distant father, and a free-spirited sister, who seems to be following in their mother’s footsteps, leaving her own six-yearold son, Luke, in Elizabeth’s care. When Ivan, Luke’s mysterious new grown-up friend, enters the picture, Elizabeth doesn’t know quite what to make of him. With his penchant for adventure and colorful take on things large and small, Ivan opens Elizabeth’s eyes to a whole new way of living. But is it for real? Is Ivan for real?
If You Could See Me Now is a love story with heart -- and just a touch of magic
I first came across Cecelia Ahern's books because she is the sister-in-law of Nicky from Westlife. As shallow as I may be, that is one of the main reasons why I was interested in this book. I bought PS I Love You but I never managed to finish reading it. Then a friend gave this book as a present to me and I thought it was just time for me to read it.

A bitter disappointment. The story has no real structure, and is very, very unrealistic and unbelievable. A girl falling in love with an imaginary friend? Puh-lease. Instead of me learning to hope or picking up some new things from this book, I felt like I had just wasted my time trying to read and finish this book. It has no concrete ending as well, which was a bitter disappointment. Kind of like Where Rainbows End (but more about this other book in a separate review).

I don't like the way the author keeps alternating how the story POV was written. It was written in the first person if Ivan was "speaking" and in the third person from the POV of Elizabeth. It's quite confusing that way!

Is this considered chick lit? Is it a love story? I believe, no and no. What I was happy about from the story though was the way that Elizabeth finally changes her beliefs and her attitude towards the end. From prissy, uptight girl to eventually a happy one. That's about it. Her mum and her sister didn't warrant a happy ending for her, and her lovelife was still a big mystery.

I hope that some of the other books I pick up from this author won't disappoint me any more.

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I loved "if you could see me now"-it's a cute story-with a bit of magic in it. I loved Ivan and Elizabeth, it's one of the cutest bittersweet love stories ever. I don't get why you don't see it? it's better than nicholas sparks, it isn't cheesy, it's just romantic and magical. I guess that isn't your thing...

- Copyright © Ruby Loves Adventure - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -