Another year coming to a close. I always loved making these lists of stuff I did for the year - it gives me a chance to look back on what I have (or haven't) achieved and gives me a chance to prepare new goals for the next year to push myself even more!
So, in 2011, I have read 32 books. It is threee more than what I've read the last year (at 29 books). It would have been more had circumstances been different but I'm definitely not complaining. Then again, I read more picture & children's books this year so I think I read more last year page-wise than this year!
The best book I have read for the year is a four-way tie between Take That - Take One, Take That - Take Two, Anna & the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
So, why choose those four books as the best for the year? Well, The Take That books should speak for themselves: they're so packed with photos of the band, which I absolutely loved and adored.
For Anna & the French Kiss, very rarely do I find a book that I can't put down. I finished this book in three days and had to force myself to sleep as I was reading it. I actually finished reading this in three days and re-read the book a few days after. I loved it that much. The chemistry between Anna & Etienne is sizzling! It died out in Lola & The Boy Next Door to be honest, but nevertheless, Anna was brill and the setting added to the loveability power of this book.
For Before I Fall, I read it and I was like: WOW. An eye-opening book, and well, it feels so real and I just felt for the main character as I was reading it. Such a shame it has to end that way but that's the way it is. We don't know what will happen and the ultimate saying of carpe diem kept repeating itself over and over in my head.
Without further adeau, below is a list of the books I've read. Click on the book name & author to read my review of it:
1. The Little Prince (Graphic Novel) - Joanne Sfar, Antoine de Sain Exupery (January); NetGalley
2. Chrissie's Shell - Brooke Keith. (January); NetGalley
3. Take That: Take Two - Take That. (January); bought from Book Depository: BEST BOOK EVER :)
4. Ragdolls are the Best - Elaine Landau (January); NetGalley
5. Amazing Grace - Tara FT Sering (January); provided for review by publisher
6. City of Glass - Cassandra Clare (January); borrowed from a friend
7. The 39 Clues # 3: The Sword Thief - Peter Lerangis (February); borrowed from a friend
8. The Princess Diaries - Meg Cabot (February); borrowed from a friend
9. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan (February); borrowed from a friend
10. The 39 Clues # 4: Beyond the Grave. Jude Watson (February); borrowed from a friend
11. Bless this Mouse - Lois Lowry (February); NetGalley
12. The 39 clues # 5: The Black Circle - Patrick Carman (February); borrowed from a friend
13. Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins (February); won from a contest
14. The 38 Clues # 6: In Too Deep - Jude Watson (March); borrowed from a friend
15. The 39 Clues # 7: The Viper's Nest - Peter Lerangis (March); borrowed from a friend
16. The 39 Clues # 8: The Emperor's Code - Gordon Korman (April); borrowed from a friend
17. Take That: Take One - Take That (April); bought from Dubai
18. The 39 Clues # 9: Storm Warning - Linda Sue Park (April); borrowed from a friend
19. The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan (May); swapped with a friend
20. The Chancer - Shane Lynch (May); bought from the Book Depository
21. The Princess Diaries: Take Two - Meg Cabot (May); borrowed from a friend
22. The 39 Clues # 10: Into the Gauntlet - Maargaret Peterson Haddix (May); borrowed from a friend
23. The 39 Clues: Agent Handbook (May); borrowed from a friend -- rubbish book
24. The Sign of the Four (Sherlock Holmes) - Arthur Conan Doyle (May) - free app for iPhone/iPod
25. The 39 Clues # 11: Vespers Rising - Rick Riordan, Peter Lerangis, Gordon Korman & Jude Watson (June) - borrowed from a friend
26. Wake - Lisa McMan (June) - bought from Booksale
27. Delirium - Lauren Oliver (October) - bought from Tescos
28. Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins (November) - bought from Amazon.co.uk
29. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver (November) - bought from National Bookstore
30. Where The Heart Is - Billie Letts (December) - bought from Booksale
31. Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - Helen Fielding (December) - bought on discount at National Bookstore
32. If You Could See Me Now - Cecelia Ahern (December) - gift from a friend.
So, some stats from the above list. I love making stats so bear with me :)
This year, out of the 32 books I've finished, 16 are from friends - either won through contests, gifts, borrowed, or swapped with! Wow!
53.13% - (17/32)books that were lent or given by friends or won from a contest
18.75% - (6/32) books that were bought new from various merchants
15.63% - (5/32) books that were provided for review.
9.38% - (3/32) books that were bought used from various merchants
3.13% - (1/32) books for free from the Apple app store
I've started economizing - 23/32 books (71.88%) I've read for 2011, I've paid 0 pesos for!! Woohoo!!! :) Way to go!
The rest, I've bought - mostly full price but that's about to change for 2012 as I rearrange the budget & the priorities.
That's it for now, Happy Holidays to you :)